When your baby can’t even crawl, his chances of getting injured are higher than your expectations. You need a full proof protection plan to make sure your infant is safe. Follow babyproofing tips to avoid most hazards. You just need to take extra little care and forethought for your baby to be safe.
Here are the babyproofing tips which you can follow:
- Suffocation and Choking
Kids under the age of 1 year are more prone to fatal accidents caused due to suffocation. It is advisable to take CPR (Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation) class in case of an emergency.
- Crawl around on the floor like your baby and clear away all the small objects on the way. Remove everything which your baby could put into his mouth such as beads, coins, plastic bags, toy parts, etc.
- Do not buy any toys with small pieces such as eyes or buttons which can pop out. Your baby can yank off and put in his mouth. Even older kids’ toys could be choking hazards.
- Keep the crib at such a place where cords are not around. Cords could easily get tangled around the neck of babies. You can use cord cleats to keep them out of reach of babies.
- Make sure that sheets are well-fitted and there should be no gap between the mattress and the crib sides. Make the right cot choice.
Babies have a fast metabolism and hence low defenses against toxins. So, you need to take extra care as even a tiny amount of dangerous substance can affect the baby.
- To avoid lead intoxication, keep batteries out of reach of children.
- Although cosmetics are non-toxic a few can be harmful. Do not allow your kids to play with such cosmetics.
- Keep the drawers and cabinets locked where you keep medicines, cleaning products or any other substance which could be harmful to your baby.
According to research, more than 100000 infants are hurt by falling. It is the leading cause of non-fatal injury to babies under 1 year.
- Never leave your baby alone on a changing table, bed, sofa or chair.
- Use gates for stairs when your baby starts moving around.
- Do not put the baby’s car seat on a counter or a table.
- Use a nonslip mat in the tub and outside on the floor.
- Be careful while carrying your baby. Remove rugs or mats which are slippery.
These babyproofing tips and a little extra care will help you and your baby to avoid accidents.